The current state of my studio.
Where Have I Been
I see I haven’t posted in nearly a week and people have started asking about me. Yep – all is well. Last week past in a flurry of activity. Most significantly I completed my packet of info for the upcoming show (that I can’t show the new work just yet).
This represents over 100 hours of studio time over the last few months so it feels great to have that deadline behind me. I had to send photographs and not digital images so there was a bit of a learning curve with my printer but I managed and actually it all went quite effortlessly.
Last week was also busy with house stuff. They’ve moved into doing big splashy exciting things (drywall, texturing, painting, hardwood floor refinish and carpet) in the existing part of the house, which is where the kids bedrooms are. So kids had to move out and the only spot for them was my studio. The timing worked great – I finished photography of the new art the day before the kids moved in.
Above you can see a bed where I envision design walls and floor space for basting quilts. But for now the kids are happy (or as happy as they can be living in a studio). I bribed them an ethernet connection because our wireless is essentially useless. For now this means wires strung up and over the stairs but very soon it will be wires in the wall that I had them put in when building the house.
I also bought them more girl scout cookies and some ben and jerry’s ice cream. It doesn’t quite make up for my son having to go to bed at the same time as my daughter but he’ll get over it.
Since I rarely sit around and do nothing, after my deadline was met it was time to turn my focus to the house. With the kids in the studio I can’t make textile art very easily so I’ve been putting colors on my bedroom wall. I’ve never done much painting of house walls so I was stuck for a while trying to pick colors.
Solution – I pulled out some fabric and started selecting colors as if I were making art. That got me past the "I have no idea what I’m doing" stage. I painted my office a while back and love the results. The bedroom walls have been a bit more of a challenge to get right.
The goal is purple bedroom walls but I don’t want all purple as I think it would be a bit overwhelming. So I started by painting the wall that separates the bedroom from the rest of the house a greenish brown. I did this cause the color seen looking out the door is a pinkish brown – I didn’t want to look at that through a purple wall. And I think this color will look really good with the purple I had in mind.
Yesterday I painted the wall that leads into my bathroom a lighter version of the purple I selected (it’s lighter than it looks in this photo). I pulled the tape and plastic and stepped back and knew it was a mistake. Ick – it was way too light and looked way too sweet. Might have been nice when I was 9 plus it looked really bad next to my greenish/brown wall.
This morning it was time to paint to top side of the knee walls on the other 2 walls in the bedroom. The color is a lighter version of the darker greenish-brown wall, kinda of khaki/tan kinda color. I was still pondering what to do about the light purple wall as I worked on this wall.
After the top side was painted the light khaki color, I painted some large patches of 3 potential choices for the bottom of the knee wall. I had a gallon of the one on the left but it was feeling distinctly took sweet also (just being a darker version of the rejected light purple wall).
After ponder these choices for a while I decided I needed to head to paint store and get something entirely different as none of these were really what I wanted.
In a big leap of faith I bought 2 gallons of the color selected in the store and brought it home and painted the big patches on the right and left. And ta-da – it is what I was looking for.
The plan is to paint the bottom of the knee wall and to repaint the light purple wall this new darker purple. I think 3 colors is plenty for my bedroom – trying to do 4 wasn’t really working out.
Here’s the new perfect purple up near the darker greenish-brown and I think it’s going to look great.
I now have to retape and caulk and prep the light purple wall and the bottom of the knee wall then I can paint again. The prep will take about 5+ hours. I’m kinda bummed I pulled down the tape and plastic last night cause I kinda had a feeling it was wrong. Oh well – it’s definitely worth it cause I want the new room to look awesome.
So don’t look for any new art from me for a while, but I should have some bedroom paint photos soon.