Go Confidently in the Direction of Your Dreams

by Lisa Call on January 5, 2011

in Being an Artist

Abstract Contemporary Textile Painting / Art Quilt - Structures #30 ©2004 Lisa Call

Structures #30
©2004 Lisa Call
28″ x 48″
Textile Painting (Fabric hand dyed by the artist, cotton batting, cotton thread)

Picking the Word

As I’ve done the past 3 years, I have selected a word for 2011.

A word that will guide me through 2011.

It’s my intention that this word will remind me of how I want to feel throughout the year.

It took me a long time to come up with a word. It wasn’t until a few days ago, when I clarified the difference in how I felt about between being and doing words, that I was able to come up with something.

When I tried to pick an action word to encompass my year I was bogged down trying to be clever. Not exactly authentic.

As soon as I started focusing on being words, I came up with the perfect word in less than a minute.

Confidence

First, I wrote down a list of some areas of focus for 2011: Community, Growth, Systems, Leadership, Creativity.

The next I thought about how I wanted to feel and immediately wrote confidence. And that was that, I immediately knew this is my word.

I’m planning on some major leaps forward this year. Contacting art consultants in a more systematic organized way. Teaching workshops. Organizing my business.

All of those big scary things require confidence. I’ve put many of them off for years due to fear. No more. I need to stop second guessing myself and backing down.

Time to forge ahead with great strides with self assurance.

I’m going to fully step into my power this year with the help of this word.

Unapologetic

Even the little things require confidence, like saying No to requests and invitations that don’t work for me. I always fear I’m hurting their feeling so often say yes when I don’t want to. If I do get up the courage to say no, I usually apologize for it.

Yesterday Cynthia Morris posted a video of her word for the year: unapologetic.

It was right on track with my thoughts. This short video has really inspired me and goes right along with my word as it’s about self confidence and stepping into our power as women.

Cynthia’s word:

As Henry David Thoreau said:

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.”

Stephanie Forsyth January 5, 2011 at 8:26 am

OMG! Thank you, thank you, thank you for this! I am SO the apologetic girl. “Ooh, sorry that I walked in the direction at the same time as you..” Wouldn’t an “Excuse me” work better and NOT make me LESS of a person? I come from a VERY long line of apologetic women. This will be a hard habit (and yes, I think it is a habit) to break, but you’re so right. I should not be constantly apologizing for my very existence. I feel sad for the dogs I see that do it, so why do *I* want to be that person?

Thanks so much! Also…do you have thumb holes in your shirt wrist area?? This brought me much joy! I used to deliberately cut thumb holes in all my sweatshirts when I was younger…I may sacrifice a couple of my shirts/sweaters to this comfy alteration soon!

Cynthia Morris January 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Stephanie,
I’m so glad this brought this onerous need to apologize to your attention! I wanted women to feel united on shedding this old, useless verbal tic that does nothing but demean us.

This is my new shirt, super warm for winter work. Apparently it’s a snowboarder shirt, thus the thumb holes. I like it because it covers my wrists and hands and keeps them warm while I work. I never thought of cutting holes in them myself!

Lisa Call January 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Stephanie- the video is Cynthia Morris. She is a fabulous coach here in Colorado. And yes – her video is right on target!

Cynthia Morris January 8, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for calling me fabulous!

Dora Ficher January 5, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Lisa,

Great post! Everything you said is wonderful. I Love the word you chose. We all need “Confidence”. It now makes me want to come up with a word. It will keep me thinking for many days now. I totally get what you are saying about all those “big scary things”…that’s me!
Cynthia’s video is so true!!!

Toni Ruppert January 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Great Post Lisa!
I like that you shared how you came up with the word too. “Confidence”–I love that. So many young girls are absolutely full of confidence and by teen-hood, its all gone. Thanks soo much for sharing Cynthia’s video. That resonated with me too.

Cynthia Morris January 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Lisa,
I love the word you came to choose, and I love that you shared your process with us. I had a hard time choosing a word because there are many words for this year for me.

I’m thrilled to hear you striking out in a more confident way! I predict that it will be easier than you think. You’ve done so much already that’s built your confidence, and I think the projects and leaps ahead of you will be exhilarating, not fear-inducing! Have fun and I am one of your fans cheering you on the whole way.

Joan A Hamilton January 8, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I was reading your blog about picking a word for the year the other day and thought I would pick Confident for many of the same reasons you did! It’s a strong “being” word! I was not too suprised to come back today and see your choice! You go girl! Lisa you are my inspiration!

molly January 10, 2011 at 7:16 am

WONDERFUL I love it and feel inspired

Kaitha Het Heru January 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I have been spending time caring for my mother. I notice that she says “I’m sorry,” for everything. Now I’m saying it. Could I have been doing this before, and not be-ing aware? Self-awareness is key. Thank you.