Shaking Things Up – Appearing in Person!

by Lisa Call on November 7, 2012

in News

American Craft Council Shows Logo

A Wild Hair

A few months ago, in a moment of impulsive action, I tossed my name into the hat to exhibit at the American Craft Council Shows.

I’ve never participated in this type of show – where I have to set up a booth and spend hours on end chatting with the public and selling my art in person.

I never planned to do something like this as the effort and investment always sounded like something I wasn’t interested in.

Not to mention all that standing around and talking. As an introvert, this is maybe not high on my list of things to do.

But clearly I was ready for a change in my art career as something compelled me to give it a try.

Happily I was selected to be one of the SDA nominated artists to exhibit at show.

To Baltimore

So to Baltimore I will go in February to exhibit my artwork in both the wholesale and retail shows.

Five days of standing in front of my art and selling it!

Yikes. I have a LOT to figure out.

But I’m excited – something new – something different. A challenge is always good. Booth design, marketing materials, lights, signs, what artwork do I show, travel arrangements, fun stuff to think about!

I’ll share my progress as I proceed down this new and exciting path. To date my efforts have included securing a hotel room so I have a place to sleep. Everything else I can improvise :):)

Where do you need to shake things up in your life?

Save the Date

Retail Show:
Friday, Feb. 22: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 23: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 24: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

The Baltimore Convention Center is at One West Pratt Street in Baltimore, Maryland.

SDA Artists

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Tzaddi November 7, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Brava! It’s good to take on a challenge, eh?

I just participated in my first Art Crawl and being an introvert as well I was nervous about talking to so many people in such a condensed period of time. But it was great! I got in the groove and had a wonderful experience meeting people and seeing my work through their eyes.

Best of luck with it!

Lisa Call November 8, 2012 at 5:43 am

Good for you Tzaddi. Great to hear of your positive experience out there talking for hours!

Thanks for the positive thoughts for my challenge!

Gregory November 8, 2012 at 10:55 am

Wow – 5 days, What were you thinking! :) You will certainly know if it is something you want to do again or not – trade shows are a tremendous amount of work. However. The few times I have done a show, the biggest plus was the other unforeseen opportunities that were offered to me after-the-fact such as a one-person show at a gallery, and to exhibit work elsewhere.

Gregory November 8, 2012 at 10:59 am

Oh, 3 days of show, 5 would certainly kill me… GV

Lisa Call November 8, 2012 at 11:06 am

Gregory,

It is indeed 5 days. The retail show is 3 days – which I’ve listed above – this is the more traditional art show stuff with people purchasing art.

The 2 days before hand will be the wholesale trade show days. So I’ll get to redo my booth half way through for a different audience.

Yes – what was I thinking :):)

But from all that I have read, the value will indeed be the unforeseen opportunities that come up as a result of doing the show. Although it would be nice to sell art during the retail portion also because this is not a cheap undertaking by any means.

wholly jeanne November 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Love it! You’ll sleep good while you’re there, that’s for sure. But pffft. How exciting!

Lisa Call November 9, 2012 at 7:07 am

Indeed – sleep good and I’ll be earning points at my fav hotel chain – enough I hope to put me over the edge to a free week in hawaii. Or at least that is my goal :):)

wholly jeanne November 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm

PS: and congratulations.

Lisa Call November 9, 2012 at 7:08 am

Thanks!! :):)

Teri Dewson January 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Sounds great! You will be great talking to people, they will be interested in your art and how/why you do it, so it will be a comfortable subject! Hope I can make it down there!

Lisa Call January 11, 2013 at 7:06 am