Trying Something New – Snow Dyeing Fabric

by Lisa Call on April 20, 2013

in From The Studio

4 yards of snow dyed fabric in blue, green and purple
Snow Dyed Fabric

Snow Dyeing

All winter I have been wanting to try out snow dyeing fabric but never seemed to make the time. Near the end of March I figured I had missed my chance but mother nature has been most cooperative and we’ve had 3 or 4 good snowstorms in April giving me ample opportunity to give it a try.

Finally this week I made the time with the above photo showing my results. The fabrics came from dye vats that look like snow cones (probably best not to do this with a 4 year old around):

snow and fabric

I have to admit I didn’t really read any directions (if you google “how to show dye fabric” you’ll find plenty of options) and I’m not sure if this is what is expected but I think they turned out lovely.

Although I prefer to work with solid colors I put these up on my studio wall to take this photo and I’ve been looking at them for a week.

I’ve been pretty tempted all week to make a series of 4 pieces with these fabrics as they look pretty great together and it would be a fun new adventure.

BUT – as I mentioned in my studio newsletter earlier this week, I’ve done a lot of planning for the work I want to make in my studio this year.

Using snow dyed fabric is not on my list. It is a distraction that takes me away from diving deeper into my Structures series.

And so to keep me on track I think it is best to sell this fabric. One of the best ways to avoid distractions is simply get rid of them – that way it takes no will power to avoid them.

So I’ve dusted off my Hand Dyed Fabric for Sale page and I’ve returned back to my studio where I am working on a 5 x 10′ piece in my Structures series. This morning I started stitching the pieces together after a few months of design work.

More on that later.

Hand Dyed Fabric for Sale

4 yards of snow dyed fabric in blue, green and purple
Snow Dyed Fabricclick for larger image

Each piece is approximately 1 yard (~36″ x 44″).

Piece A – Sold

Piece B – Sold

Piece C – Sold

Piece D – Sold

Fabric is 100% cotton high quality tightly woven pimatex from Robert Kaufman (more information about pimatex).

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Lena April 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm

They are lovely. But as I don’t work in fabric they are for somebody else.

Lisa Call April 21, 2013 at 8:03 am

Thanks Lena!

It’s good you don’t work in textiles, otherwise the world would not get to experience your beautiful drawings!

Monica McGregor April 20, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Beautiful fabrics, Lisa. And I so admire your refusal to be distracted.

Lisa Call April 21, 2013 at 8:04 am

Thanks Monica,

I’m really excited about my Structures series again!

Karen April 21, 2013 at 9:38 am

I understand how you don’t want to be “distracted”, but don’t you wonder where a little experiment could take you? You have a distinct style, beautiful, but don’t you want to try a little “what if” that could add, rather than distract, from what you do?

Lisa Call April 21, 2013 at 11:37 am

Karen,

Good question.

Working in my Structures series is about experimentation and asking What if – I just ask different questions other than “what if I used this patterned fabric?”

Also – check out my portals series – http://lisacall.com/art/collectible/portals/ – I did lots of work with painted and dyed patterned fabric earlier this year.

It’s now time to focus on my Structures series!

Debbie Spaulding April 23, 2013 at 6:17 am

They came out lovely as you say but I totally understand not wanting the distraction. I really am pleased with some of the pieces i came up with but they haven’t called to be used in any particular way. I need something quieter to work with. D

Lisa Call April 24, 2013 at 6:48 am

Debbie,

Thanks. We can always use them on the back of our work because they are lovely. We had more snow yesterday and I was tempted to give it a try with some reds. Then I realized I have no red dye. Guess I need to place an order!

Enjoy your quieter work!

Virginia Nicholas May 4, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Lisa, so glad you were able to try the snow dyeing. Turned out great and now you can understand my passion. Nice.

Lisa Call May 6, 2013 at 6:40 am

Virginia,

:):) It is definitely fun. I would love to do some in reds next time.