July Goals Update #1 – Slow Going

by Lisa Call on July 16, 2013

in Goals and Intention

My garden
Fresh from the garden

July Goals

Last week I shared my July goals – they are quite simple:

• Work in my studio  70 hours.
  • Eat food from my garden in at least 2 meals a day
  • Stay current with my teaching

How am I doing?  I’d say I’m mostly skating by on the skin of my teeth.

I attended a concert at Red Rocks on Saturday night that ran very late due to the rain delay.  The resulting lack of sleep that night set me back quite a bit (ugh – I think I’m getting old!) but I have to say Brandi Carlile was amazing and my seat in the second row, near center was pretty spectacular.

So I’m okay with playing catch up a bit this week as it was worth it.

Here are the details:

Studio

I’ve worked in my studio 15 1/4 hours in the last 6 days – for an average of 2 1/2 hours a day.  That’s not going to get me where I want to be.

For the remaining 15 days of the month I need to average 3 2/3 hours a day.  So time to ramp it up!

And this is why I’m checking in occasionally so I can adjust course if needed.

Teaching

Although I’m not behind with teaching I’m also only just barely so.  I have several assignments to review by end of day tomorrow to meet my promised assignment review schedule.

Eating

On the other hand, the fresh garden meals are going fabulously.  Many days I’ve had fresh garden veggies at all 3 meals plus some snacks (like a handful of crunchy sugar snap peas or a sweet strawberry – a rare treat as the squirrels eat most of them)

The photo above was today’s harvest.

I made this for dinner (the yellow squash was saved for another time):

My garden
Aurgula salad, oven roasted zucchini and steamed green beans

It’s all fresh from my garden with the addition of 2 boiled eggs, some oven roasted cherry tomatoes (from last year – from my freezer) and some Parmesan.

PS – I’ve finished the cauliflower inspired textile painting I mentioned last week and I’ll be debuting the photos in my studio newsletter tomorrow morning. Sign up here if you aren’t already one of my 1200+ subscribers.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Martha Marshall July 17, 2013 at 7:30 am

What a beautiful harvest and fabulous meal! Nothing more gratifying than eating right out of the garden. I guess it’s worth the weeding and the sharing with critters. I share quite a lot of mine with birds, squirrels, and bugs.

Lisa Call July 21, 2013 at 7:11 am

Martha,

Thanks! And yes – the best meals I’ve made are those with items straight from the garden.

cynthia stentz July 17, 2013 at 9:46 am

hi lisa, your entry about the portland event, as well as the link to your last years post on vulnerability were very inspiring. perhaps i will try to go next year.
i too am an introvert………infp. i am in the throws of attempting to put myself out there in the fiber world. i appreciate you and your thoughtful sharings.

Lisa Call July 21, 2013 at 7:12 am

Cynthia,

WDS is pretty awesome. Let me know if you do end up going. It’s a pretty busy weekend so I’m not always able to meet everyone but there is usually an artist dinner that I can point you to.

Maria Shell July 17, 2013 at 11:26 am

Lisa- I think you are doing great! Those yummy veggies will power you on to a successful conclusion to July. I’m sure of it.

Lisa Call July 21, 2013 at 7:12 am

Thanks Maria!

This week went well. The weeds are taking over the yard but my studio is getting more attention. :)

Gail Frasier July 18, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Lisa, I have no doubt that you will accomplish your July goals in the studio. There is still time yet. Also, just setting your monthly goals and checking them is a step ahead of most of us. You set a good example. That plate of goodies looks marvelous!

Lisa Call July 21, 2013 at 7:16 am

Thanks Gail,

There is still time – definitely 11 more days! That is a 1/3 of a month – we can get a lot done in 1/3 of a month!

Monica McGregor July 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm

What a beautiful plateful, Lisa. Eating that way can do nothing but good toward helping you achieve your goals!

Lisa Call July 28, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Monica – I agree – fresh veggies are the best fuel!