My Goals for July

by Lisa Call on July 10, 2013

in Goals and Intention

My garden
State of the Garden – July 1

Making a Plan

These are my goals for July:

• Work in my studio 80  70 hours.
  • Eat food from my garden in at least 2 meals a day
  • Stay current with my teaching

Short, simple and they would be totally doable.

Except, well, it is sort of all ready July 10 and the month is 1/3 over.

I had great intentions to write this blog post 10 days ago and then update my blog every few days with my progress on these goals.

But I was getting ready to head out to the World Domination Summit* and I ran out of time – my garden and teaching were the priority and my studio sat gathering dust.  Time to write a blog post was nonexistent.

So much for all those fabulous plans.  Oops!

Do It Anyway

I considered bailing on the whole idea as it’s rather silly to start a monthly goals on July 10th.  But this morning I decided that was sillier.

We don’t need neatly aligned start and stop dates to do things.

I can still do this.  I’m  just starting a bit later than planned.

I knew I wouldn’t get much done in the studio the first week anyway.  So I’ve revised my studio goal down to 70 hours and I’m good to go.

So look for several blog posts this month on how I will pull off 70 hours in the studio in 22 days.

That’s an average of 3 1/4 hours a day.  Hm.

To The Studio!

But I’m back home, almost caught up with the  3 online classes that started while I was out of town (I don’t really recommend this plan) and this evening I’m going to head to my studio after the day job wraps up.

I’m going to make a textile painting inspired from this photo I took in Portland at the farmer’s market.  Love these colors:

Cauliflower

Instead of waiting for a new month, what can you start today?

* I went to the World Domination Summit #WDS2013 last year and was vulnerable and reap fabulous rewards.  This year was again amazing.  Maybe later I’ll write about it.  Or maybe I won’t – we’ll see how it goes.  I’m still thinking about writing about Italy also.

Jean July 10, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Lisa, I’m so glad the 70 hours is for the month and not the week like I first thought. I read the linked post for the world domination summit from last year and really do hope you find time to post something about this year’s as well. I suppose you found it valuable enough since you returned. Are you still working with the same mastermind folks? I really enjoy your blog posts.

Lisa Call July 11, 2013 at 6:31 am

Jean – I think a week with 70 hours in the studio would be pretty awesome. Sounds like something to try some day. 10 hours a day in the studio. Hm…

I need to review my notes from WDS and think about it some but I’ll see if there is a blog post in there. Probably!

And yes, I am still going with the same mastermind partner (there is just 2 of us) and it was nice to spend time together at WDS.

Gregory July 10, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Hi Lisa, Love the cauliflower – great color harmony! You could work those colors for ever at different proportions… maybe different levels of saturation too.

Lisa Call July 11, 2013 at 6:33 am

Gregory,

I know – amazing huh! I had that same thought last night “I should make several of these”!

We were in a tad bit of a hurry walking to the next session but I had to stop and take this photo – it was just too good.

I don’t quite have the right greens to do this but the piece turned out pretty good last night. I’ll start quilting it today and post it soon.

Gail July 11, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I had never heard of the world domination summit. So, I went to the website. and WOW>. looks like a very cool event with a wonderful mix of business, creativity and just plain fun!. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Lisa Call July 12, 2013 at 6:04 am

Gail,

You are welcome. WDS is most wonderful – it’s hard to describe what it is to other people but it’s pretty excellent. The speakers are inspiring.

Nancy Eichenberger July 12, 2013 at 5:12 pm

It looks like you have quite a variety of veggies in your garden. I could live on veggies. Tonite I picked some spinach and some artichokes are ready.

I just recently retired as a medical social worker and thought I would have all the time in the world to work on my art. Well so far my time has been frittered away. I have painted some fabric. Which is something that works better for me in the summer. I have completed three pieces but it has taken 3 1/2 months.

You are to be admired for your goals and work completed. Nanc

Lisa Call July 15, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Nancy,

Wow – artichokes – yum. Those I have never tried but they are on my list for soon!

I hear that alot about retiring – that suddenly you get less done. I think I might not want to ever retire from art :)

Kaitha Het Heru July 13, 2013 at 4:57 am

Thank you Lisa for showing us a palette of Cauliflower Colors! Shopping in the big supermarkets I only see cauliflowers in one color!

I look forward to seeing your cauliflower-inspired textiles.

Lisa Call July 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Kaitha,

Yes – these really stopped me in my tracks. I’ve seen purple ones before but never all of these other ones. They looked yummy!

Carol Trice July 13, 2013 at 5:51 am

I can’t wait to see the piece that is inspired by the cauliflower. Just think…..a whole new series inspired by fruits and veggies!

Lisa Call July 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Carol,

I was going to do a garden series at one point. But some how it never happened so I think they sneak in now and again!

Beth Andrews July 13, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Re: Brene Brown and vulnerability…
“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.” ~C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

Lisa Call July 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Beth,

Nice quote – thank you. Brings up great imagery.