The Studio is Done!

by Lisa Call on January 27, 2017

in From The Studio

Post image for The Studio is Done!

Wanted: Access to Design Walls and a Storage Room

Last August I got my New Zealand studio set up good enough to make some art and then dove head first into the 100 day’s project. I didn’t come up for air until all 100 were completed in mid December.

While I was able to create small work during that time, my space was rather sub-optimal. There was simply too much stuff in the room and I didn’t have access to large design wall space with all the clutter.

This week my major focus has been remedying the problems and this afternoon I finished the job. My studio is now set up and fully functional.

To solve the storage problem for by myself and kiwi guy (who also works from home), we decided to turn our guest bedroom into a storage room. An awesome studio vs a nice place for guests to sleep. Yep – studio wins.

Before

First a reminder – this is what I had to work with:

Lisa Call - New Zealand Artist Studio
The room before I moved in – dark paneling and lovely wall paper

Lisa Call - New Zealand Artist Studio
All the stuff that needed to fit

After

Here are the results of 10 days of sorting and cleaning and finishing design walls (and covering as much of the hideous wall paper as possible):

Lisa Call - New Zealand Artist Studio
Floor space in front of design walls! Yay!

Lisa Call - New Zealand Artist Studio
Sewing table #1

Lisa Call - New Zealand Artist Studio
Fabric storage

Lisa Call - New Zealand Artist Studio
Sewing Table #2 – canvases and bolts of fabric and my 5 spare sewing machines are stored under the table.

Lisa Call - New Zealand Artist Studio
Not a great photo due to the glare. This table is for painting my canvases before attaching the textile paintings. The thin strips of wall around the windows is about the only place I can still see the wall paper.

Lisa Call - New Zealand Artist Studio
Took a while but I finally figured out how to attached the thread racks to the walls without putting holes in the wall. They are screwed into wooden slats and then into 2″ thick styrofoam.

Lisa Call - New Zealand Artist Studio
Cutting Table – very little stored under this table now – I feel like I can breath.  And no more wall paper – which means almost every thing is pin-able wall space

Perfect

This studio is less than half the size of my studio in Denver.  I am definitely missing the high ceilings and all the open floor space.

And it is perfect, for now.  Let the sewing begin!

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

Maria Shell January 28, 2017 at 6:38 am

Lisa- Your space looks incredible. You are ready to go!

Lisa Call January 29, 2017 at 10:59 am

I am!!! It’s so nice to enter the space and think “time to make stuff” vs “I should clean this up”

Colleen Kole January 29, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Looks great and what a fun way to start with work on the wall!

Lisa Call January 30, 2017 at 9:56 am

Thanks Colleen,

I thought about leaving the walls all blank so I could fill them all up with new work. And then I rethought that and added oodles of color :)

I love my new space!!

LG Walker January 30, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Good for you huge thanks for sharing! I’m a
bit more than half way through a huge
workspace clean up too and am grateful
for this inspiration. Would love to hear any
details about materials used to cover/create
Your design walls.

Enjoy!

Lisa Call January 30, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Thank you. Good luck with your cleanup!

My walls are sheets of styrofoam insulation (polystyrene in some countries). They are 4’x8′ and some are 2″ think and some are 1″.

They are all covered with white flannel. If you put “design walls” into the search box on my blog it should bring up some articles where I show how I installed them into my previous studio.

Sally Tapsell Hall January 30, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Lisa, your new studio is an inspiration as is your wonderful work. Thankyou for sharing it.

Lisa Call January 30, 2017 at 10:04 pm

You are most welcome Sally!

I wasn’t sure I was going to get this studio into shape – it is pretty exciting to have it sorted out!

Bethany Garner January 31, 2017 at 2:36 am

Technical side of your brain has organized this space perfectly… a space for every thing and everything in it’s space. Congrats! Can’t wait to see where your new design play takes you, Lisa. Have a wonderful adventure with colour and stitch – watching, and excited!
bethany

Lisa Call February 6, 2017 at 11:27 am

Bethany,’

Yes – I definitely have a very organized brain (at times). :):)

And thank you! I’m excited also.

Pat Bishop January 31, 2017 at 3:03 am

Lisa,
You are very creative at problem solving! Looks very inviting, I like your ironing surface L, another creative and looks like inexpensive way to setup with the drawers for storage as well.

Lisa Call February 6, 2017 at 11:28 am

Pat,

Yes – a great big ironing surface is so nice. I stopped using ironing boards well over 15 years ago. Had to use one again in he workshop I just took. I had forgotten how challenging they are!

Helen L. B. Thompson January 31, 2017 at 3:16 am

Hi Lisa,

Fabulous!!! Do the tipsy houses represent clutter and chaos?? I have been making houses for years in fabric of course. I even have a pieced back with ‘dog houses’…as in who is in the doghouse???

Lisa Call February 6, 2017 at 11:29 am

Helen,

The houses are based on my older “home series” – they went all wonky to add more interest I suppose. I like your interpretation :)

Your dog house piece sounds fun!

Vickie Wheatley January 31, 2017 at 5:17 am

It looks great! Thanks for sharing. I got a few good organizing ideas.

Lisa Call February 6, 2017 at 11:30 am

Vickie,

Hurray for picking up some organizing ideas! Getting our studios into shape is a big job!

Linda Krause January 31, 2017 at 9:54 am

You have my sewing machine sitting on your table and under your table! Do you really have 5 Pfaff 1475s? I love mine and have thought about getting a second one but always seem to find something else on which to spend the money. Great looking studio. Can’t believe it’s the same room as the before picture

Lisa Call February 6, 2017 at 11:31 am

Linda,

I have 5 1475s and 2 1473s. Not all work – one if there for parts. I’ve been using them since 1992 and love love them also :)

You have good taste in machines!

Holly Farmer February 2, 2017 at 8:52 am

What an awesome space you have!! I’m inspired

Lisa Call February 6, 2017 at 11:32 am

Thanks Holly! I love the space also. It feels good to be there – which is what I need to make stuff!